The Craziest Pizza Toppings from Around the World
Although pizza originated in Italy, it’s a favorite food around the world from Brazil to Japan. In the United States, our favorite pizza toppings are pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onion, green pepper and extra cheese — but every country has their take on this favorite classic. Pizza toppings around the world vary and are often based on culture, regional tastes and local food options. While some of the popular pizza toppings listed below seem a bit odd, with pizza it’s hard to go wrong!
- Japan: Being completely surrounded by water, it’s no surprise that people in Japan enjoy squid and eel as a topping on their pizza. These fishy favorites are also paired with Mayo Jaga — a mixture of potato, mayonnaise and bacon.
- India: In India, they like a punch of flavor on their pizza with minced mutton, pickled ginger, tofu and paneer, which is a form of cottage cheese.
- Russia: Russians are no stranger to the cold and prefer their pizza cold with Mockba on top — a combination of sardines, tuna, mackerel, onion, salmon and red herring.
- Pakistan: Popular pizza toppings in Pakistan include curry, chicken tikka and anchari chicken.
- France: The French have their own take on pizza, also known as a tarte flambée with onion, bacon and fresh cream on a thin layer of dough.
- Netherlands: The Dutch enjoy having twice as much toppings with the “Double Dutch” — pizza with double meat, double onion and double cheese.
- Sweden: Would you try this Swedish favorite — pizza topped with a mixture of chicken, peanuts, bananas, curry powder and pineapple?
- Australia: Australians enjoy pizza all day and have special fare for breakfast and dinner. Their breakfast pizza is topped with bacon, ham and egg, and in the afternoon, they’ll be munching on pizza with BBQ sauce, pineapple and shrimp.
- Costa Rica: This island thinks outside of the box for their favorite pizza topping combination, shrimp and coconut.
- Brazil: Perhaps the most unusual pairing with pizza worldwide, the largest country in South America tops their pizza with green peas, corn, raisins, hearts of palm and hard-boiled eggs.
Visit Your Favorite Minneapolis Pizzeria
Do you enjoy even crazier pizza toppings on your favorite pie? Tell us your favorite topping by visiting our website or reaching out to us on social media! At Tasty Pizza, we’ve been a staple in the Minneapolis, MN area since 1963, offering the tastiest pizza in town. Check out our events page to see our upcoming activities or to learn more about our weekly bingo and trivia games.